714 North Street
Smithfield, NC 27577
Terry Keene, Prevention/Family Support/Work First Supervisor
Services Provided or Description:
Johnston County's Work First program helps put welfare recipients to work. The program provides a monthly check to families. The amount of the check depends on the number of individuals in the family and the amount of family income. There must be a child under age 18 in the home.
Work First provides:
- short-term training (when needed)
- child care
- health care
Together, these services can provide a safety net that allows families to remain in the workforce and off the welfare rolls.
Hours: 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. on Monday, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Tuesday through Friday
Ages Served: All
Work First requires parents to:
- Sign personal responsibility contracts detailing their plans for getting off welfare.
- Look for and accept work.
- Ensure that their children are immunized and receive regular medical checkups.
- Keep their children in school.
- Cooperate with child support enforcement efforts.
Bilingual? Bilingual services are available for all programs at Social Services.