Women's Health Services
Prenatal services are available to all Medicaid, insurance, and private pay clients. Prenatal clinics are staffed by OB-GYN nurse practitioners, physician assistants, Family nurse practitioners and registered nurses. An OB-GYN physician is available on Tuesday mornings and is referred as needed.
- Complete physical initially done by Provider (includes pap smear, if indicated)
- Limited physical exam each visit by Provider (includes abdominal measurement, fetal heart count, and fetal position evaluation.)
- Blood Pressure, weight, and lab tests each visit.
- Prenatal classes (topics include: anatomy and physiology, fetal growth and development, child care, birth control options and labor/delivery).
- Childbirth Classes
- Parenting Classes - four one-hour sessions for parents with children from birth to five years of age (topics include: First Aid and CPR, sick child, development and discipline)
- Diet is evaluated by nutritionists
- Counseling to help with proper weight gain during pregnancy
- High risk diet counseling if needed
- WIC services
Pregnancy Medical Home
The goal of the Pregnancy Medical Home (formerly known as the Baby Love Program) is to improve the health of mothers and babies in North Carolina who receive Medicaid benefits. Service will be based on patient need and risk factors. Care Managers are assigned to the Pregnancy Homes (offices that provide prenatal care) in Johnston County.
For more information regarding Pregnancy Medical Home services please contact Johnston County Health Department at 919-989-5200.
The goal of the Maternity program is to provide quality prenatal care to all clients and to help ensure the healthiest pregnancy possible for the delivery of a healthy new baby.
Family Planning Services
Family Planning services are available to all Medicaid, insurance, and private pay clients. Family Planning clinics are staffed by registered nurses, nurse practitioners, physician assistants, and physicians.
- Physical Examination - complete physical initially and annually by provider including pap smear, STD screening, HgB, HIV test
- Offer variety of birth control methods including birth control pills (included in the cost of the physical), Depo Provera injections, contraceptive foam, condoms, diaphragms, Ortho Evra Patch, IUD, Implanon, NuvaRing (as funding allows), and natural family planning
- Pregnancy Testing
- Education classes on different types of birth control and how to use them, including natural family planning
- After school appointments for patients currently in school (students)
For additional information or to schedule an appointment, please call (919) 989-5200.