Biographical Sketch: The Wyoming Hotel was built near the Atlantic Coastline depot in Selma in 1896-1897 by T. T. Oliver of Pine Level. In 1900, the John A. Mitchener family began operating the hotel, purchasing it in 1903. It was named in honor of Mitchener's wife, Gertrude Wyoming Waddell, a native of Wilson's Mills. The hotel was popular among travelers because of its excellent food.
The 1900 census shows 10 regular boarders, including 3 conductors, 1 flagman, 1 engineer, 2 telegraph operators, 2 brakemen, and a 13-year-old errand boy.
The Mitcheners were in the process of making plans for retiring and selling the hotel on February 19, 1918, when the building burned. Mr. and Mrs. Mitchener and four boarders had only enough time to save their personal belongings. Much of the furniture and perhaps the three silver tea service pieces had already been removed in preparation for the impending sale of the property.
Collection Description: The collection includes silver serving pieces used in the Wyoming Hotel, as well as a Presbyterian hymnal, a history of Selma written by John A. Mitchener, and family correspondence, photographs, and genealogical information.