What are the requirements for recording a map?
The map must be 18 x 24 inches on mylar so that legible copies can be made. Before presenting the map to the Register of Deeds, it must contain the certification of a review officer. Review Officers can be contacted by calling the Johnston County Planning Department at 919-989-5150.
What maps are exempt from review by a review officer?
1.Maps on which the surveyor has certified:
• That the survey is located in a portion of a county or municipality that is unregulated as to an ordinance that regulates
parcels of land G.S. 47-30(f)(11)(b); or
• That the survey is of an existing parcel or parcels of land and does not create a new street or
• change an existing street G.S. 47-30(f)(11)(c)(1); or
• That the survey is of an existing building or other structure, or natural feature, such as a watercourse G.S. 47
• That the survey is a control survey G.S. 47-30(f)(11)(c)(3).
- Maps of municipal boundaries and municipal annexations, whether or not required by law to be recorded [G.S. 47-30(j)];
- Highway right-of-way plans provided for in G.S. 136-19.4 [G.S. 47-30(l)];
- Transportation roadway corridor official maps provided in Article 2E of Chapter 136 [G.S. 47-30(l)];
Maps attached to deeds or other instruments that are no larger than 8-1/2 inches by 14 inches and conform to G.S. 47-30(m):
(i) have the original signature of a registered land surveyor and the surveyor's seal as approved by the State Board of Registration for Professional Engineers and Land Surveyors, or
(ii) be a copy of a map, already on file in the public records, that is certified by the custodian of the public record to be a true and accurate copy of a map bearing an original personal signature and original seal.
A map that does not meet the requirements of G.S. 47-30(m) may also be attached to a deed or other instrument submitted for recording in that form for illustrative purposes only if meets both of the following requirements for G.S. 47 30(n):
• It is no larger than 8-1/2 inches by 14 inches.
• It is conspicuously labeled, "THIS MAP IS NOT A CERTIFIED SURVEY AND HAS NOT BEEN REVIEWED BY A LOCAL GOVERNMENT AGENCY FOR COMPLIANCE WITH ANY APPLICABLE LAND DEVELOPMENT
What does it cost to record a map?
The fee is $21.00 per sheet or page.
How do I obtain a copy of the map to my property?
If your property is located in a subdivision or if your survey has been recorded, you may obtain an uncertified copy for $1.00 or a certified copy for $5.00 from the Register of Deeds office.
Where can I get a tax map, PIN map, topo (topography) map, or aerial map?
Contact the Johnston County Technology Services Department located in the Johnston County Courthouse in Smithfield. You may contact them by telephone at 919-989-5153.
Marriage Licenses are issued:
Passports (By appointment only)
We are located at:
207 East Johnston St. Suite 209
Smithfield, NC 27577