Apply for Utility Services
TO APPLY FOR WATER SERVICE
** OWNER/BUYER - Attach Proof of Ownership/Intent to Purchase with application (required to start service)
**RENTER - Attach Lease/Rental Agreement with application (required to start service)
Download the application, print out the forms, sign and fax your paperwork with a COPY OF YOUR DRIVER LICENSE to 919-934-0256. IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A FAX - PLEASE EMAIL YOUR APPLICATION, DRIVER LICENSE AND ATTACHMENTS TO email@example.com (CLICK HERE <=== to download and print the pdf application forms).
We process applications and collect fees over the phone at least one business day in advance of your service activation date. WE DO NOT PROVIDE SAME DAY SERVICE. We can provide the status of your application once received at any time.
Please read the following Instructions for Utility Services:
APPLICATION MUST BE RECEIVED TWO (2) BUSINESS DAYS PRIOR TO SERVICE ACTIVATION DATE (BUSINESS HRS MON-FRI 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM) - WE DO NOT PROVIDE SAME DAY SERVICE
FEES ARE $100 for Water and $115 for Water and Sewer. Customer Service (919)989-5075 will call you to collect with a credit card once application is processed usually at least one business day before activation date (includes $75.00 refundable security deposit).
ALL SERVICES ARE SUBJECT TO DISCONNECT WHEN MONTHLY BALANCE IS PAST DUE WITHOUT NOTICE – monthly utility statements serve as notice of possible disconnection.
An Application for Service must be completed prior to service being connected. Johnston County Public Utilities requires at least two (2) business days' notice. A security deposit must be satisfied at the time of application. The deposit may be waived with a letter of credit from your previous utility company submitted with the properly completed application. JCPU security deposits do not transfer between accounts. After 12 months of payment by due date, your security deposit may be applied back to your account upon request or it will be applied to any outstanding balance that you owe to Johnston County Public Utilities.
You will need the following information to establish a new account:
- Legal Name of Account holder. Credit is being extended only to the name(s) on the established account.
INFORMATION REGARDING THIS ACCOUNT WILL NOT BE GIVEN TO ANYONE NOT NAMED ON THIS ACCOUNT.
- Social Security Number *
- Valid Driver’s License or North Carolina Government-Issued Photo Identification.
- Physical Address of the Property-where the property is located.
- Billing Address – where the bill will be mailed.
- Telephone Number.
- Rental Receipt or copy of lease agreement.
- Proof of property ownership if you purchased the property.
- Employer’s Name, address and telephone number.
- Payment of Fees:
o Application Fee (NON-REFUNDABLE service charge regardless if service is established).
o Deposit or a letter of credit from your previous utility company indicating no late payments for the
most recent 12-month period (a payment history will NOT be accepted as a letter of credit).
o Connection Fees (all unpaid balances with Johnston County Public Utilities, tap fee, assessment & meter).
- Mail your payment – stub and envelope is provided with your statement.
- FREE Automatic Bank Draft – authorization form available in our office or at www.jcutil.com .
- Online Payment at www.jcutil.com/paywaterbill (sends immediate notification of pending payment).
- Payments are accepted in our office – check, cash or debit/credit card (Visa, MasterCard or Discover).
- Bill Pay Service at your bank (NOT electronic transfer – paper check is mailed - allow 5-10 days to post).
- Drop Box Payment - located at rear parking entrance of Land Use Center, 309 E Market St., Smithfield.
- Pay by Phone up to $135.00 (844-845-2151). Payment immediately posts to your account.
- Check Cashing businesses are NOT authorized payment centers for Johnston County Public Utilities.
- WE DO NOT TAKE PAYMENTS OVER THE PHONE UNLESS THE AMOUNT EXCEEDS $135.00.
*Disclosure of Social Security number: Johnston County is authorized to collect this information to extend credit for services, identify customers and collect debts owed to Johnston County. Without this information additional deposit or other pertinent information may be required to establish service. In compliance with the Federal Trade Commission’s Fair and Accurate Credit Transaction Act of 2003, and the Identity Protection Act of 2005, Johnston County is required to identify its customers. Johnston County will be verifying customer information using the Social Security number through a credit reporting agency. Johnston County collects debt through NC State Tax Refunds and third-party services. Johnston County is an equal opportunity provider and employer. Discrimination is prohibited by Federal Law. To file a complaint of discrimination write USDA, Office of Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, DC 20250-9410 or call toll-free at (800) 877-8339, or (202) 720-2600 (voice and TTY) or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.