Randy Smale
Send E-Mail
Physical Address:
HAPP Building
107 Johnston Street
Smithfield, NC 27577
Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 1515
Smithfield, NC 27577
Phone: 919-989-5070
Fax: 919-989-5421
Frequently Asked Questions
The default view (Home and Entire Site categories) show a complete list of all FAQs available on the web site. To view the questions for a particular department only, select a department from the drop-down list below:

Q: How do I apply?
A: You will need to come into the HAPP office and bring social security cards and birth certificates for each person in your household. In some cases, the HAPP office could send someone to your home as a reasonable accommodation. Office hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The waiting list is currently closed.

Q: My family is soon to be evicted, can I get help now?
A: Unfortunately no. HAPP does not have emergency subsidy. Applicants are reached by the time and date of application.

Q: What is the difference between Public Housing and Section 8?
A: Public Housing Agencies own and manage the property it leases. Section 8 provides rental assistance but the families rent from private landlords whose housing meets certain standards.

Q: How much rental assistance will I receive?
A: The HA determines the amount of assistance based on HUD regulations. This amount is based on the family's income, number of dependents, medical expenses, etc.

Q: What is a Section 8 Voucher?
A: A Section 8 Voucher is a tenant-based housing assistance payment where the applicant/participant finds housing. Participants pay a portion of the rent based on their income and the housing agency pays a portion.

Q: How long do I have to wait for assistance from HAPP?
A: There is no simple answer. Applicants receive assistance according to the time and date they apply. In general, an applicant's wait for assistance may be two years.

Q: What is portability?
A: Portability is the ability to transfer your Section 8 voucher from one county to any other county in the USA that administers a Section 8 program.

Q: If I have rental property and would like to rent through HAPP, what do I do?
A: You may call the HAPP office and we will list the property for you. When a participating family is interested in renting your unit, they will contact you an ask you to complete a Request For Tenancy Approval. When RFTA is submitted to the HAPP office, someone will contact you to schedule an inspection. For more information, contact the HAPP office at 919-989-5070.

Q: What are my obligations as a landlord under the Section 8 program?
A: The role of the landlord in the voucher program is to provide decent,safe, and sanitary housing to the tenant at a reasonable rent. The dwelling must pass the program's housing quality standards and maintains those standards as long as the owner receives housing assistance payments. In addition, the landlord is expected to provide the services agreed to as part of the lease signed with the tenant and the contract signed with the HA.

Q: I have a landlord who is willing to rent to me under the Section 8 program, can I get a voucher immediately?
A: No. We are required to provide assistance to families on the waiting list by time and date of application.