Guidelines for Pet Owners
- Care and upkeep of your pet(s) will be handled by trained personnel.
- Pet owners may not wander into the animal holding area without consent from animal shelter staff.
- Visitation times will be scheduled based on animal population.
- Pet owners must adhere to the schedule to allow other pet owners to visit.
- Any animal bites (the tooth must break the skin) must be reported to authorities immediately
Failure to follow these guidelines may result in the owner’s loss of visitation rights for the duration of the disaster event.
Set Up at:
Shelter will only be opened upon request from the EOC.
Staff will prepare site prior to this time, based on impending disaster situation.
ACS staff will contact waste disposal company for delivery of an on-site dumpster. (All waste must be placed in plastic trash bags.)
Emergency Management (EM) will transport to co-location supply trailer.
Property Management (PM) will unload the entire contents of the trailer on-site and assist in placement of the plastic wall coverings, floor runners, and other heavy equipment.
EM will return the trailer to the garage holding area.
ACS staff will bring filled disinfectant spray bottles, newspapers and food supply.
Co-location staff will construct and arrange the cleaning supplies and animal crates in the designated areas, and establish a registration area.
Break Down at:
- The state of emergency is lifted, and all animals have been returned to owners.
- EM will bring the trailer to
- Emptied crates will be disinfected. (Note: For more thorough cleaning, these may need to go to ACS shelter for cleaning.)
- Shelter staff and PM will break down crates and load everything into trailer.
- Trailer is returned to Emergency Management holding area.
- Waste disposal company is contacted to pick up dumpster.
- Site is inspected by school and county staff.
Co-Location Shelter Registration Form
Check-in/ Staff Duties
Law enforcement will be available for crowd control.
Citizens must register their pets before proceeding to register themselves at the human registration desk. Owners will complete the pet registration form(s) and receive an identification wristband along with a copy of the pet registration form(s). Family members will be photographed with their pet(s). Pets will be taken to assigned kennels by shelter staff. Owners will then proceed to the human registration desk.
Check-in / Pet Owners / Animal Intake Instructions
- Pet owners will be routed to the animal registration area to complete paperwork for animal intake.
- Owners will complete the vaccination form for all pets.
- Owners will be photographed with each pet: one photo will be taken for the kennel, and one photo will be taken for the file.
- Staff will complete one Animal Impound Sheet for each animal, and a kennel number based on the kennel schematic.
- Cat Kennels are numbered C1-C36
- Dog Kennels are numbered D1-D80
- The white impound sheet will be placed on the animal kennel in a protective sleeve.
- The yellow impound sheet and photo will be filled with the white registration form at animal registration.
- The pink and Yellow registration forms will be given to the pet owner.
- Animals will be placed in assigned kennel.
- Owners will proceed to human registration area for check-in. The Yellow registration form will be given to the human registration personnel to verify that pets have been checked into the animal side of the shelter.
Check-Out / Staff Duties
Shelter resident must check out on the human side prior to recovering their pet(s).
Registration paperwork must be matched (pink and white copies) and wristband identifiers supplied for each animal to be returned to the proper owner.
Registration staff will pull the yellow copy of the animal impound sheet from the file. Owners must initial the yellow impound sheet and return it to shelter staff.
Once the paperwork is verified, shelter staff will recover pet(s) and return to owner. Both yellow and white impound sheets and registration forms will be returned to registration for filing.
Check-Out/ Pet Owners/ Animal Recovery Instructions
- Pet Owners must check out at the human registration desk prior to recovering their animal(s).
- Owners should pick up the yellow registration form from the human registration personnel.
- Owner will present yellow registration form and wristband to retrieve sheltered animal(s).
- Owner will initial yellow copy of impound sheet.
- Shelter staff will return pet(s) to owner after verifying paperwork.
- Check out is complete.
ANY ANIMAL NOT RECOVERED OR RECLAIMED FROM THE CO-LOCATION SHELTER FACILITY WILL BE TRANSPORTED TO JOHNSTON COUNTY ANIMAL SERVICES, 115 SHELTER WAY, SMITHFIELD, NC AND HOUSED FOR A PERIOD NOT TO EXCEED FIVE (5) WORKING DAYS. IF THE ANIMAL IS NOT CLAIMED WITHIN THIS TIME, THE ANIMAL WILL BECOME PROPERTY OF JOHNSTON COUNTY AND ADOPTED OR RESCUED TO A THIRD PARTY.