Closure for Johnston County Construction and Demolition (C&D) Landfill
For Immediate Release:
June 10, 2020
Smithfield, NC -- The Johnston County Construction & Demolition (C&D) Landfill located at 680 County Home, Smithfield NC will be closing soon. As of July 1, 2020, only select dump truck loads of C&D segregated waste materials will be directed to the C&D landfill for the purposes of meeting the permitted final contours. Otherwise, C&D waste materials may be disposed at the Municipal Solid Waste (MSW) Landfill. The MSW Landfill is located beside the C&D Landfill.
As a reminder, the following waste items are prohibited from disposal in the MSW Landfill:
- Hazardous waste.
- Polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB) wastes.
- Liquid wastes.
- Used oil.
- Yard trash.
- White goods.
- Antifreeze (ethylene glycol).
- Aluminum cans.
- Whole scrap tires.
- Lead-acid batteries.
- Motor vehicle oil filters.
- Recyclable rigid plastic containers that have a neck smaller than the body of the container, and that accept a screw top, snap cap, or other closure. The prohibition does not apply to rigid plastic containers that are intended for motor oil or pesticides.
- Wooden pallets.
- Oyster shells.
- Discarded computer equipment.
- Discarded televisions.
- Beverage containers generated by holders of on-premises malt beverage permits, on-premises unfortified wine permits, and on-premises fortified wine permits.
Please take measures to ensure these prohibited items are not included in your waste loads. For more information regarding the C&D Landfill closure or what to do with prohibited waste items, please contact the Department of Solid Waste Services at 919-938-4750 or email@example.com.