To obtain a marriage license, both the bride and groom must do the following:
1. Complete the Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry.
2. Complete the Online Marriage Application
3. Be present in the Johnston County Register of Deeds office when applying between 8am - 4:30pm M - F
4. Present a Government issued photo ID (driver's license, state-issued ID card, passport, military ID) and know your Social Security Number. If you don't have a Social Security Number, please contact our office at 919-989-5161 for the types of documentation that we accept.
5. Pay marriage license fee of $60.00 (cash or credit/debit card).
In addition, applicants younger than 18 years of age must:
1. Present a certified copy of their birth certificate.
2. Both parents must be present and show ID.
In addition, divorced applicants must:
1. Provide the month,day, and year of their last divorce. If the divorce was finalized within 30 days of applying for a marriage license, the applicant must provide an original or certified copy of the divorce decree as well. There is no waiting period between the granting of the divorce and applying for another marriage license.
• Licenses are issued between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
• Applicants will be placed under oath.
• The marriage license is valid immediately upon issuance.
• The marriage license is valid for 60 days.
• The marriage license is valid in any North Carolina County.
• Certified copies of your marriage license can be obtained for $10.00 each by request either in person or in writing to: Johnston County Register of Deeds Office, P.O. Box 118, Smithfield, NC 27577
Obtaining a Certified Copy for Your Name Change
If one of the applicants plan to change their name, they will need a certified copy of their marriage license from the Register of Deeds office. Because the officiant is allowed ten (10) days to return the license, please allow at least two weeks to request your certified copy. Certified copies are $10.00 each, payable by money order or cash.
The applicant may obtain a copy by mail, online, or in person.
If requesting a copy by mail, please provide the full names of both applicants. Also include the date of marriage, the number of copies needed, and your payment. Do not forget to include your return address!
Both Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) and Social Security require a certified copy to make name changes.
Mail your request to: Johnston County Register of Deeds, P.O. Box 118, Smithfield, NC 27577. Include a self-addressed, stamped envelope.
If you have any questions regarding these procedures, please feel free to contact the Register of Deeds office directly at 919-989-5160.
*You can click on the form name to download the form in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) file format. PDF files require the Adobe Acrobat Reader to view. The Acrobat Reader can be downloaded for free from www.adobe.com.
Marriage Licenses (By appointment only)
Vital Records Phone #
Real Estate Phone #
Passports (By appointment only)
We are located at:
207 East Johnston St. Suite 209
Smithfield, NC 27577