Town of Benson
The town of Benson, which derives its name from early settler Alfred Monroe ("Mim") Benson, owes much of its historical development to the railroad line which passed through the present location in town in 1886 on its route between Fayetteville and Contentnea. More information on the history of Benson and the surrounding communities may be found at the new Benson Museum of Local History located at 102 W. Main Street, next to the Mary Duncan Library.
Mr. Benson's purchase of a 402-acre (1.63 km2) tract along the Smithfield-Fayetteville Road in 1874 initiated the settlement of the area now known as Benson. During the 1880s Benson sold portions of his original tract to incoming settlers, many of whom were farmers. Benson was incorporated in 1887 and soon attracted a number of entrepreneurs wishing to take advantage of this new town along an important transportation route.
A prominent early resident of the Benson area was John William Wood Sr. (December 28, 1855 - October 31, 1928) who rode to Benson each morning on a mule and wagon from his home at Peacocks Crossroads near Meadow. After having served on the Board of Education and as a county commissioner, where he was known to be a watchdog of the treasury, he was elected to a term in the State House of Representatives in 1927. Meadow School was built on land donated by him.
The Benson Historic District and Hannah's Creek Primitive Baptist Church are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
http://www.townofbenson.com/ - Town of Benson Website
https://www.johnstoncountync.org/benson/ - Johnston County Visitors Bureau