Town of Smithfield
History / Facts
Smithfield was Johnston County's first town and second county seat. The town was started near Smith's ferry on the Neuse River. The county court house was moved from Hinton's Quarter to Smithfield in 1771. The town was first known as Johnston County Courthouse. It was incorporated as Smithfield in 1777.
The third North Carolina state legislature met in Smithfield in 1779 and 1780.
https://www.smithfield-nc.com/ - Town of Smithfield Website
https://www.johnstoncountync.org/smithfield/ - Johnston County Visitors Bureau