Town of Four Oaks
History / Facts
Four Oaks was one of several towns founded along a branch of the Wilmington and Weldon Railroad, completed though Johnston County in 1886.
Four Oaks named for four oak tree sprouts growing from a stump—incorporated in 1889, and at that time had a post office, a public gin, saw and grist mills, a saloon and general store, a church, and a population of 25.
Cotton and tobacco farming were notable industries in the surrounding community.
Street lights were installed in 1907, and by 1910 Four Oaks had a population of 329.
The Four Oaks Commercial Historic District was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2006.
http://fouroaks-nc.com/ - Town of Four Oaks Website
https://www.johnstoncountync.org/four-oaks/ - Johnston County Visitors Bureau
Page last updated on: January 23, 2023