Johnston County Public Health Confirms Additional Cases of COVID-19 at Springbrook Rehabilitation and Nursing Center
For Immediate Release:
April 8, 2020
Smithfield, NC – Today, the Johnston County Public Health Department received confirmation of 11 additional positive cases of COVID-19 linked to residents and staff at Springbrook Rehabilitation & Nursing Center located in Clayton, NC. During the outbreak, there have been two COVID-19 resident deaths associated with the facility. The additional testing that led to these results was part of a comprehensive public health investigation based on a confirmed outbreak which was identified on April 4, 2020.
“We are saddened by the continued impact this pandemic is having on our residents and families said Dr. Marilyn Pearson. Since the identification of the outbreak, our staff and partners, including Johnston Health, Johnston County Emergency Services, and Johnston County Environmental Health, have been communicating with facility leadership and making recommendations to care for those affected and to reduce the risks for other residents and staff at the facility.”
Since COVID-19 is most commonly spread through respiratory droplets, the Health Department urges everyone to take precautions to protect themselves from the spread of all respiratory illness:
- Stay home, and only go out for necessities or exercise, and only have contact with the people you live with
- Avoid contact with persons that you know are sick
- Wash hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds
- Cover your cough with the crook of your elbow or with a tissue and throw it in the trash and wash your hands
- Clean and disinfect surfaces, especially ones that are touched frequently, using regular household cleaning spray or wipes.
- Stay home if you’re sick and don’t send sick children to childcare.
- Don’t touch your eyes, nose and mouth.
If everyone uses these measures it will help decrease the spread of viruses and respiratory diseases in our community.
To stay up to date on COVID-19 in North Carolina, visit https://ncdhhs.gov/coronavirus or text COVIDNC to 898211. Call 2-1-1 (or 888-892-1162) for general questions or for help finding human services resources in your community.