Planning and Progress
Read the Johnston County Parks and Recreation Master Plan published in April 2021.
Currently, the following projects are in the works:
- Booker Tract: New Park in the Cleveland Community
- 81+ acres of land.
- Johnston County’s first County Park.
- Partnership with Greater Cleveland Athletic Association (GCAA).
- RFQ approved on July 19th, 2021 to seek out engineers for a temporary parking lot and irrigation water system.
- UPDATE (10/4): County Commissioners approved funding for the design process RFQ of the temporary parking lot and irrigation water system
- UPDATE (12/6): County Commissioners approved the master plan RFQ for the park's permanent facilities and design
- A universal ball field will be built following this construction by GCAA.
- UPDATE (4/8): McGill has been selected to design a temporary ballfield
- A new partnership between Johnston County Public Schools and Johnston County Parks and Open Space Program
- All school athletic facilities will be considered public parks, allowing athletic associations to rent/lease fields and facilities for athletic games.
- Grounds will be maintained by Johnston County Parks and Open Space Program via a shared-use/payment contract with the school system.
- The first meeting took place on August 3rd, 2021; this is the first of many public meetings involving parks & recreation, public schools, and athletic associations.
- Neuse River Trail Clayton-Smithfield Connection Feasibility Study
Please view this link for more information
- Issued by Upper Coastal Plain Rural Planning Organization (UCPRPO)
- 15.6-mile connection from existing greenway/multi-use trails in Clayton and Smithfield
- Includes continuation of the Mountains to Sea Trail and East Coast Greenway
- Partners include:
- Upper Coastal Plain RPO
- NC Capital Area Metropolitan Planning Organization (CAMPO)
- Johnston County
- NC State Parks
- Towns of Clayton, Wilson's Mills, Selma, and Smithfield
- Friends of the Mountains-to-Sea Trail
- East Coast Greenway Alliance
- Proposed Contract Time: Within Fiscal Year 2021-2202
- UPDATE (9/21): County Commissioners approved funding for Johnston County Parks and Open Space Trails Study portion included in the feasibility study
For more information about upcoming projects and long-term planning, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.