Learn About the Landfill
Landfill Hours and Location
The Johnston County MSW Landfill is located at 680 County Home Road, Smithfield,NC.
Hours of operation are Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 4:45 p.m., and on Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. All Facilities are closed on Sunday and County approved holidays.
Waste Disposal Fees
Fees for waste disposal:
- Municipal Solid Waste - $37.00 per ton including a $2.00 solid waste fee.
- Asbestos - $45.00 per ton including a $2.00 solid waste fee.
- Yard waste and vegitated debris - $18.00 per ton.
- Non commercial yard waste - $8.00 per ton per 1/2 ton pickup truck load volume.
- Clean wood waste - $18.00 per ton.
- Used Automobile tires - No charge for retail tires ($65.00 per ton for ineligble tires)
- All scales transactions - $5.00 minimum charge.
The Solid Waste Decal may be used to dispose of household trash at the Landfill facility (subject to volume limitations). For more information about Solid Waste decals, see the About Solid Waste Decals page.
What is prohibited in the Landfill
Prohibited Waste Items that must be recycled:
- Used oil.
- Yard trash.
- White goods.
- Antifreeze (ethylene glycol).
- Aluminum cans.
- Whole scrap tires. The prohibition against landfilling whole tires applies to all whole pneumatic rubber coverings, but does not apply to whole solid rubber coverings.
- Lead-acid batteries.
- Beverage containers that are required to be recycled under ABC laws.
- Motor vehicle oil filters.
- Recyclable plastic containers that have a neck smaller than the body of the container, and that accept a screw top, snap cap, or other closure. The prohibition does not apply to rigid plastic containers intended for use in the sale or distribution of motor oil or pesticides.
- Wooden pallets.
- Oyster shells.
- Discarded computer equipment (includes laptops, desktops, monitors, video displays, printers, scanners, and printer-scanner-fax combos.
- Discarded televisions.
Some wastes are not accepted at the Landfill due to federal, state, or local laws. These items are:
- All liquids
- Fire, embers, or hot ashes
- Hazardous wastes or unknown wastes
- Poisons, herbicides, or pesticides
While certain items are prohibited from being placed into the Landfill, the Solid Waste facility will accept many of these items for alternate disposal means or for recycling. For more information about specific items the Landfill accepts please contact the Department of Solid Waste Services at 919-938-4750.
Images of the Landfill
A description of how landfills are built is available at http://science.howstuffworks.com/environmental/green-science/landfill4.htm.