For more information about Johnston County Trash Disposal and Recycling
MAIL DELIVERY OF TRASH DECALS CAN TAKE UP TO 3 WEEKS - BUY IN PERSON AT 309 E. MARKET ST, DOWNTOWN SMITHFIELD
Effective June 1, 2022, the bank service fee of $4.12 will be added to your payment for a total cost of $104.12.
Additional Information About Landfill Decals
In 1989, Johnston County developed a method for residents of the county to dispose of their household garbage in a manner which is safe for the environment and more functional for its users. Since then, 12 manned "Convenience Centers" have been constructed to provide a means of recycling and disposing of solid waste. A clear understanding of the County's solid waste program will help minimize operating costs and make Johnston County a cleaner and more beautiful place to live.
Citizens who use the Convenience Centers to dispose of their household garbage are required to purchase a decal annually and affix it on the vehicle's windshield (see section Decal Windshield Placement). The price of this decal covers a portion of the costs associated with operating the centers, transportation of waste and landfill fees.
Decals may be purchased online.
A Decal Order Form available from website and payment can be mailed to the following address
(DO NOT MAIL WITH WATER BILL PAYMENT):
Johnston County Public Utilities
PO Box 2234
Smithfield, NC 27577
For additional information or questions, please contact:
The Johnston County Solid Waste Division at (919) 938-4750
DECAL WINDSHIELD PLACEMENT
- Remove any old County decals from your vehicle.
- Sit in the passenger seat of the vehicle.
- Peel the backing off the new decal.
- Place the decal on the lower right corner of the front windshield.
- Do not tape, laminate or display in plastic.
- The decal must be stuck to the windshield.
Decals cannot be replicated or moved between vehicles. A receipt for a decal cannot be used in place of the decal. Each vehicle entering a convenience center or the landfill convenience center for household garbage disposal must have the decal affixed to the vehicle's windshield. Commercial entities (including Mobile Home Parks) must dispose of garbage at the Landfill and pay a per ton disposal fee.
- Decal is valid for household garbage only. Limit one standard (1/2 ton) pickup truck load per week.
- Additional volumes may be taken to the landfill at a per ton disposal fee.
- If the decal is lost, stolen, or the windshield replaced and the decal is not retrieved, you must purchase a new decal.
- If the decal is removed from your vehicle and returned to our office, it is replaced at no charge.
- Decals are valid for one year from date of purchase and purchases are NON-REFUNDABLE.
- Decals are available only to Johnston County residents.
HOUSEHOLD DECAL ORDINANCE VIOLATION
Any resident using the Convenience Centers to dispose of garbage without a decal is doing so in violation of the Johnston County Solid Waste Ordinance. If the decal is not affixed on the vehicle's windshield, the site attendant is required to record the license plate number and document the incident as a violation of the ordinance. Civil penalties up to $500 may be assessed for each violation. Information on the Solid Waste Ordinance and other Violations may be obtained from the Solid Waste Division.