Other methods to Obtain a Copy of a Birth Record
You can obtain a copy of the birth record of someone who was born in Johnston County from the Johnston County Register of Deeds office. In addition our office is able to provide birth records for persons born in any North Carolina County if the birth occurred on or after 1/1/1971 and if the person is NOT ADOPTED. If the person was adopted they will need to contact the State Office of Vital Records 919-733-3526. There is an additional fee of $14.00 for this service.
If you, or the person for whom you are requesting the record, were born outside of Johnston County and you do not want to get the record from our office, you can contact us directly to obtain the name, address and telephone number of other agencies where you can obtain this information.
Note: Certified copies of vital records may only be obtained by eligible persons. Uncertified copies are available to the public.
1. Make sure that you are either the person for whom the birth certificate is being requested, or you are the spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent, grandchild, great-grandparent, great-grandchild, step-parent, step-child, or the attorney or legal agent of that person. Birth Certificates can only be provided to these individuals.
2. Complete the Application for Certified Copies of Vital Records form.
3. Bring proper identification and $0.10 for each uncertified copy, and $10.00 each for certified copies.
4. Stop by the Register of Deeds office on the first floor of the Johnston County Courthouse in Smithfield during business hours.
- Make sure that you are either the person for whom the birth certificate is being requested, or you are the: spouse, parent, child, sibling, grandparent, grandchild, great-grandparent, great-grandchild, step-parent, step-child, or the attorney or legal agent. Birth Certificates can only be provided to these individuals.
- Complete the Application for Certified Copies of Vital Records form.
- Include the following information with your request: Your name at birth, date of birth, father's name, and mother's maiden name.
- Sign your request and enclose a stamped, self-addressed envelope, along with a copy of your current driver's license.
- Include $.10 per copy for uncertified copies, and $10.00 per copy for certified copies, in the form of cash, a money order, or certified funds. Personal checks are NOT ACCEPTED.
- Mail your request to: Vital Records, P.O. Box 118, Smithfield, NC 27577
What are the costs in obtaining a birth certificate?
A certified copy costs $10.00; an uncertified copy is .10 cents. Include a stamped, self-addressed envelope for mail requests. A minimum processing fee of $1.00 is charged for mail requests.
How long does it take to obtain a copy?
We try to answer our mail requests the same day we receive them. If you walk into our office, it should take just a few minutes depending on the number of customers at the counter. If you complete the Application for Certified Copies of Vital Records form and bring it with you, it will save time.
(click on the link to download the form)
Page last updated: September 14, 2023