Marriage Licenses are by appointment only
Please call 919-989-5161 to schedule your appointment
To obtain a marriage license, both the bride and groom must:
- Call us at 919-989-5161 to schedule your appointment.
- Complete the Online Marriage Application
- Be present in the Johnston County Register of Deeds office when applying between 8am - 4:30pm M - F
- Present a Government issued photo ID (driver's license, state-issued ID card, passport, military ID) and know your Social Security Number. If you don't have a Social Security Number, please contact our office at 919-989-5161 for the types of documentation that we accept.
- Pay marriage license fee of $60.00 (Cash, debit/credit, ApplePay, or GooglePay, sorry NO CHECKS.).
Applicants younger than 18 years of age must:
- Present a certified copy of their birth certificate.
- Both parents must be present and show ID.
Divorced applicants must:
Provide the month, day, and year of their last divorce. If the divorce was finalized within 30 days of applying for a marriage license, the applicant must provide an original or certified copy of the divorce decree as well. There is no waiting period between the granting of the divorce and applying for another marriage license.
Online Marriage Application
PLEASE NOTE: Upon completion of the online application, BOTH parties still need to come to our office and show ID to complete the marriage license process.
Thank you for selecting Johnston County to obtain your marriage license. It is an honor to record and safeguard your license for years to come. Please be aware that a Government issued photo ID is required to obtain a marriage license as well as know your Social Security Number. If you don't have a Social Security Number, please contact our office 919-989-5161 for the types of documentation that we accept. Both parties must appear together in our office to obtain the license.
Thank you again, and I hope you have a long, happy life together.
Johnston County Register of Deeds
By appointment only, call:
Page last updated: October 2, 2023