Procedure for obtaining a Marriage License
Marriage Licenses are by appointment only
Please call 919-989-5161 to schedule your appointment
To obtain a marriage license, both the bride and groom must:
- Complete the Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry.
- Complete the Online Marriage Application
- Be present in the Johnston County Register of Deeds office when applying between 8am - 4:30pm M - F
- Present a Government issued photo ID (driver's license, state-issued ID card, passport, military ID) and know your Social Security Number. If you don't have a Social Security Number, please contact our office at 919-989-5161 for the types of documentation that we accept.
- Pay marriage license fee of $60.00 (Cash, debit/credit, ApplePay, or GooglePay, sorry NO CHECKS.).
Applicants younger than 18 years of age must:
- Present a certified copy of their birth certificate.
- Both parents must be present and show ID.
Divorced applicants must:
Provide the month, day, and year of their last divorce. If the divorce was finalized within 30 days of applying for a marriage license, the applicant must provide an original or certified copy of the divorce decree as well. There is no waiting period between the granting of the divorce and applying for another marriage license.
- Licenses are issued between 8:00 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays.
- Marriage Licenses are By appointment only. Call 919-989-5161
- Applicants will be placed under oath.
- The marriage license is valid immediately upon issuance.
- The marriage license is valid for 60 days.
- The marriage license is valid in any North Carolina County.
- Certified copies of your marriage license can be obtained for $10.00 each by request either in person or in writing to:
Johnston County Register of Deeds OfficE
P.O. Box 118
Smithfield, NC 27577
Name Change after Marriage
A certified copy of your marriage license from the Register of Deeds office is needed for a name change.
If you have any questions regarding these procedures, please feel free to contact the Register of Deeds office directly at 919-989-5160.
Page last updated: October 2, 2023