Adult Protective Services

Program Overview

Disabled adults are vulnerable to abuse, neglect, and exploitation. The Johnston County Department of Social Services receives and evaluates reports to determine whether disabled adults are in need of protective services and what services are needed.

Services may include:

  • Planning and counseling with disabled individuals and families
  • Arranging substance abuse services
  • Arranging appropriate housing and long-term care options
  • Coordinating the delivery of appropriate delivery of services when a resident’s rights have been violated in an adult care home or nursing home
  • Providing assistance to family caregivers to prevent further incidents of abuse, neglect, or exploitation
  • Arranging for the provision of legal services regarding fraud and consumer scams
  • Counseling regarding health related matters
  • Arranging for resources

The Adult Protective Services Social Worker also assists with placement, guardianship, advance directives, and involuntary commitment when needed as part of the adult’s protection plan.

Find out how to make a report to Adult Protective Services

All inquiries go through the DSS main number:

(919) 989-5300

This includes Food Stamps (FNS), Medicaid, Temporary Assistance Needy Families (TANF), Child Care, Child Protection, Adult Protection, Foster Parenting, Transportation, and more.

Report Child Abuse/Neglect

E-mail or call
After normal business hours, call 919-989-5000 and ask to speak with the on-call social worker.

Report Adult Abuse/Neglect

Monday through Friday 8 am through 5 pm (919) 989-5300.
After hours, weekends and holidays, please call 911 or (919) 989-5000.

Domestic Violence

Call 911 or (919) 989-5000.