Reporting Adult Abuse / Neglect

How to Make a Report

Disabled adults or disabled emancipated minors present in North Carolina who are reported to be abused, neglected, or exploited, and in need of protective services are eligible to receive this service without regard to income.

Call the Johnston County DSS at 919-989-5300 Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am - 5:00 pm. After hours, on weekends and holidays, please call 911 or 919-989-5000.

NOTICE: Do not send adult abuse or neglect referrals through email or this website. Please call 919-989-5300 during normal hours or 911 (after hours). Thank you!

Required Information

The following information must be provided when a report is made:

  • The name and address of the disabled adult
  • The name and address of the disabled adult’s caretaker
  • The age of the disabled adult
  • The nature and extent of the disabled adult’s injury or condition resulting from the abuse, neglect, or exploitation
  • Any other pertinent information

All inquiries go through the DSS main number:

(919) 989-5300

This includes Food Stamps (FNS), Medicaid, Temporary Assistance Needy Families (TANF), Child Care, Child Protection, Adult Protection, Foster Parenting, Transportation, and more.

Report Child Abuse/Neglect

E-mail or call
After normal business hours, call 919-989-5000 and ask to speak with the on-call social worker.

Report Adult Abuse/Neglect

Monday through Friday 8 am through 5 pm (919) 989-5300.
After hours, weekends and holidays, please call 911 or (919) 989-5000.

Domestic Violence

Call 911 or (919) 989-5000.