Reporting Child Abuse / Neglect

When Should a Report Be Made?
Protecting children is a priority. If you suspect that a child is being abused or neglected, you should file a report with the Department of Social Services (DSS). Emergency situations should be directed to 911. Information can be given anonymously.

How to Report
Call the Johnston County DSS at 919-989-5300 Monday through Friday, from 8:00 am through 5:00 pm. After hours, or on weekends and holidays, please call 911 or 919-989-5000.

NOTICE: Do not send child abuse or neglect referrals through email or this website. Please call 919-989-5300 during normal hours or 911 (after hours). Thank you!

All inquiries go through the DSS main number:

(919) 989-5300

This includes Food Stamps (FNS), Medicaid, Temporary Assistance Needy Families (TANF), Child Care, Child Protection, Adult Protection, Foster Parenting, Transportation, and more.

Report Child Abuse/Neglect

E-mail or call
After normal business hours, call 919-989-5000 and ask to speak with the on-call social worker.

Report Adult Abuse/Neglect

Monday through Friday 8 am through 5 pm (919) 989-5300.
After hours, weekends and holidays, please call 911 or (919) 989-5000.

Domestic Violence

Call 911 or (919) 989-5000.