Services for the Blind

Johnston County Social Services administers assistance intended to help empower individuals who are blind or visually impaired to achieve their maximum potential.

These services are provided through the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Services for the Blind. The programs available in this area coordinate services in the following areas:

  1. Independent Living
  2. Vocational Rehabilitation
  3. Prevention of Blindness

To obtain additional information and/or apply for these services, please contact Johnston County Social Services at (919) 989-5300. Ask for the Services For the Blind Case Manager. More detail on these services may be obtained from the North Carolina Division of Health and Human Services.

All inquiries go through the DSS main number:

(919) 989-5300

This includes Food Stamps (FNS), Medicaid, Temporary Assistance Needy Families (TANF), Child Care, Child Protection, Adult Protection, Foster Parenting, Transportation, and more.

Report Child Abuse/Neglect

E-mail or call
After normal business hours, call 919-989-5000 and ask to speak with the on-call social worker.

Report Adult Abuse/Neglect

Monday through Friday 8 am through 5 pm (919) 989-5300.
After hours, weekends and holidays, please call 911 or (919) 989-5000.

Domestic Violence

Call 911 or (919) 989-5000.