Social Services can be appointed as Guardian of the Person for an individual who has been deemed incompetent by the Clerk of Court for the purpose of performing duties relating to an individual’s care, custody, and control. An adult may be declared incompetent by the Clerk of Court is he/she lacks sufficient capacity to manage his or her own affairs or to make or communicate important decisions concerning his or her person, family or property. Social Services is only appointed as a last resort when there is no family member or responsible person who is able or willing to serve.

Contact: Johnston County Social Services, 919-989-5300

All inquiries go through the DSS main number:

(919) 989-5300

This includes Food Stamps (FNS), Medicaid, Temporary Assistance Needy Families (TANF), Child Care, Child Protection, Adult Protection, Foster Parenting, Transportation, and more.

Report Child Abuse/Neglect

E-mail or call
After normal business hours, call 919-989-5000 and ask to speak with the on-call social worker.

Report Adult Abuse/Neglect

Monday through Friday 8 am through 5 pm (919) 989-5300.
After hours, weekends and holidays, please call 911 or (919) 989-5000.

Domestic Violence

Call 911 or (919) 989-5000.